image 1 image 2 image 3 image 4 image 5 image 6 image 7 image 8 image 9 image 10 image 11

 

 

A View of the pre-fabs at Woolavington Estate in about 1950. The location is thought to be Darkfield Road.

.

View from the Church Tower looking east along Church Street. Approximate date 1980.

View from the Church Tower looking west along Lower Road. Approximate date 1980.

View from Church Tower looking south along Lockswell. Aproximate date 1980.

The Windmill which gave its name to Windmill Crescent, Mill Walk and Old Mill Road stood approximately on the site of 1 Knowle End. The last remains of the tower were removed in the mid 1960s. The last miller was George Cox (1830-1907). He was not replaced when he died in October 1907.

Woolavington's first two council houses were built in 1928 at the top of Woolavington Hill. Four further houses of a similar design were added in 1929-32 and two more, a semi-detached pair were first occupied in 1934. The houses look very similar externally today.

A check of the 1934 electoral roll reveals that the early occupiers of these houses were:-

No 1 (now 61) Henry & Emily Laura Cox

No 2 (now 59) Samuel & Dorothy Withers

No 3 ( now 57) Eliza J. Mitchell

No 4 (now 55) Ernest & Gertrude Knight

No 5 (now 53) Hubert & Minnie Phillips

No 6 (now 51) Arthur & Muriel Gore

No 7 (now 49) George & Gertrude Williams

No 8 (now 47) Margery L. Kidner